From 21 to 25 May, twelve Central African Republic (CAR) senior government officials met in Yaoundé, Cameroon, to participate in the first workshop on the development of the country's NSDS 2. These officials came from the Ministry of Economy, Planning and Cooperation, the Central African Institute of Statistics and Economic and Social Studies and sectoral departments in charge of education, health, agriculture, finance and budget. They were joined by two senior staff from INS Cameroon as part of an exchange of good practices between countries.
The objective of the workshop was to begin the development of the NSDS 2 by addressing five major themes:
- diagnosis of the National Statistical System (NSS) of CAR;
- the experience of CAR and Cameroon in the development and implementation of NSDSs;
- challenges, national policies and priorities for the development of a new NSDS;
- the history of NSDS development work in CAR;
- the definition of the mission of the NSS, the vision of the development of public statistics and strategies for capacity building
To meet the statistical data requirements of the Peace Recovery and Consolidation Plan (PRCPCA) and other public policies, the Central African authorities have requested and obtained the support of the PARIS21 Secretariat to develop a new NSDS, taking into account the socio-economic, political and economic context of the country.
CAR hopes for the NSDS 2 process to be completed by 31 August 2018 and the Government to adopt the NSDS 2 by the end of 2018.