On 11-13 September, PARIS21, in close collaboration with the National Statistical Institute (NSI) of the Côte d’Ivoire organized a training workshop in Abidjan for statisticians and journalists.
The aim of this workshop was to help statisticians to better communicate on data and figures as well as to help journalists better understand statistics and the work of the statisticians. Helping statisticians and media representatives to better work together and to better disseminate data and to better inform Ivoirian citizens were among the main outcomes of this event.
During the workshop, the participants worked on the following topics:
• Drafting and disseminating press releases.
• Talking to a camera.
• Responding to an interview and during a press conference.
• Communicating during a crisis situation.
At the end of seminar, a mini roundtable helped to define concrete activities for the coming months. Among them
• Actions to improve the regular provision of statistics to journalists.
• The establishment of a network of journalists.
• Launching of a regular statistical bulletin.
• Organization of conferences and regular meetings with the press.
The PARIS21 Secretariat will support the NSI of the Côte d’Ivoire to implement these recommendations.