Last year, PARIS21 launched a new podcast, “Data for the People: a post-crisis podcast”.
The weekly podcast is an informal chat with leading actors and thinkers in the world of data and statistics that explores how the COVID-19 pandemic is changing the world of data, how data are being used to inform the response and recovery, and what a post-pandemic world of data and statistics might look like.
H.E. Ariunzaya Ayush, Minister of Labour and Social Protection and Chairwoman of PARIS21
- H.E. Ariunzaya Ayush joins "Data for the People" to discuss the role of data and statistics in the Mongolian ministry’s work and recovery efforts, the importance of multilateralism to build back better from the crisis and the role of digitalisation in formulating inclusive policies in Mongolia.
(Episode in French) Ministre Élisabeth Moreno, Ministre du gouvernement français chargée de l’Égalité entre les femmes et les hommes, de la Diversité et de l’Égalité des chances
- Dans cet épisode, la ministre parle de la nouvelle plateforme antidiscriminations.fr lancée par le gouvernement français, du rôle des entreprises et des chiffres dans le combat pour l’égalité et le Forum Génération Égalité organisé par ONU Femmes (UN Women) et co-présidé par la France et le Mexique.
H.E. Hanan Ahli, Acting Director, Federal Competitiveness and Statistics Centre, UAE
- Hanan Ahli talks about the role of data and statistics in the United Arab Emirates’ crisis response and recovery efforts, the centre's new work priorities following the merger into the Ministry of Cabinet Affairs and statistics on the country’s performance amid COVID-19.
(Episode in German) Katharina Schüller, Diplomstatistikerin und Gründerin von STAT-UP Statistical Consulting & Data Science
- Katharina Schüller spricht über Data Literacy, die Schlüsselkompetenz des 21. Jahrhunderts, ihre Erfahrungen als Frau in der Statistkbranche, eine neue Data Literacy Charta für Deutschland und wie Datenkompetenz erfolgreich vermittelt und zur Lösung realer Probleme beitragen kann.
Vincent Hendricks, Professor of Formal Philosophy and Director of the Center for Information and Bubble Studies at the University of Copenhagen
- Vincent Hendricks discusses why truth has a hard time in polarised societies, the importance of partnerships to build common grounds of trust and what the role of social media platforms is in tackling fake news, fake data and misinformation.
Katinka Weinberger, Chief of the Environment and Development Policy Section at the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific
- Katinka Weinberger talks about the progress the Asia-Pacific region has made in achieving the SDGs, the role of data in advancing the Agenda 2030 and the trade-offs between economic growth and the environment.
Mario Pezzini, Director of the OECD Development Centre
- Mario Pezzini talks about major historic events, how they affect the way we project the future using data and why historical memory needs to be complemented by more political discussion and public action.
- Gavi's Guillame Grosso shares reasons to be optimistic and talks about access to vaccines, the role of data & communications experts to fight misinformation.
- Rohinton Medhora talks about how we can put the modern data ecosystem at the service of better policymaking.
- Sarah Hendriks on how far the world has come with regards to gender equality, how far we still have to go, and what the impact of COVID-19 has been.
- PARIS21 hears from Gabriela Ramos about how COVID-19 has highlighted the urgent need to bolster trust in data and science, as well as international cooperation, in order to reduce inequality worldwide.
- Alan AtKisson speaks with PARIS21 Executive Head Johannes Jütting about the effects of the pandemic on Sida's partner countries, and the work being done to address both short- and long-term development issues.
- Maroof Syed discusses CERP's cross-cutting approach to addressing the COVID-19 pandemic, including its Smart Containment with Active Learning (SCALE) plan.
- (Episode in German) PARIS21 Executive Head Johannes Jütting and Georges-Simon Ulrich discuss the importance of data you can trust in times of crisis like COVID-19.
- Aniela Unguresan joins "Data for the People" to discuss the impact of the COVID-19 crisis on data production and use.
- Anil Arora joins "Data for the People" to discuss the response of Statistics Canada to the mounting data demands and squeezed capacities brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Stefaan Verhulst joins "Data for the People" to discuss lessons to be learned from the COVID-19 pandemic, including a renewed focus on improving data collaboration, data governance frameworks and public engagement.
- Jessica Espey talks COVID-19's impact on data governance and the lessons we can learn from this pandemic moving forward.
- PARIS21 Executive Head, Johannes Jütting speaks to Dr. Samuel Annim about the ways in which the country is innovating in order to continue collecting and disseminating relevant and timely data amidst an ongoing crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Introduction from PARIS21 Executive Head Johannes Jütting
Listen on your favourite platform:
We’ll be announcing subsequent episodes on Twitter, so make sure that you follow us!